Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chapter 0: One step forward, two steps back

Peviously on JIRI...

In spite of all his efforts to go south, JIRI is forced to travel north to frozen Viking country to face his destiny. Will he build up a good starting position, will he get drunk by apparent simplicity of the task or will he be devoured by a ruthless competition…Let’s find out...

Day D. Sunday 26.10.2008. 6:00. I wake up and without any extra preparations we sit to the car and drive to the airport. To my surprise, there is no check-in for my flight yet. But don’t worry and let’s have a breakfast. After another half an hour I am nervous what is going on. Then like a dagger into my ears sounds an announcement through the airport terminal “Flight to Dublin is canceled due to bad weather condition on the Prague airport”. It’s not my flight but I can feel in the air what will happen. A disaster!! I run to the Austrian office just to verify what I was already almost sure. My flight will be canceled too!!

NONONOOOOO Why are you holding me here!!!! We aren’t in the communistic era anymore!!! Czech Republic didn’t answer. Only send some more fog on the landing runway. I felt a real despair and helplessness. But it was powering me up. I’ll show you!!

My ticket got rebooked to 9pm, changed to direct Prague- Gőteborg one and I got one more chance then. We returned home to Liberec, had a lunch and after a while we were on the way to the airport again. All the sky seemed clear during the whole ride. But just as we got closer to the airport, fog appeared out of nowhere again. I panicked and my heartbeat rose to maximum. NOT AGAIN!!

Soon I was sitting in the hall knowing that my plane is on the way here from Gőteborg, but that no plane had landed until now. I was inventing a crazy scenarios how to get to Vienna now to catch first morning flight or how to catch this plane if it would have to land in Brno or Dresden. I didn’t check-in because of still probable cancellation of the flight. And then suddenly like a dagger into my ears sounds an announcement through the airport terminal……..”Jiri Vystejn please come to the check-in desk immediately”….

What a miracle!! My plane had landed through a hole in the fog carpet and I was the last person to check-in. The following familiar procedure of getting to the plane was like sleepwalking and I ended in a small jet for 36 passengers, eating sandwich and drinking beer. So it has started, I thought…finally!!

The delayed arrival to Gőteborg had also advantages. I had time to read the email specifying my hotel and when and where I should go on Monday. Yes…I was going there only with my survival hockey bag, a hostel telephone number and with an address of my company headquarters. But now was everything much easier and about 11 pm I was already sleeping in a nice soft bed…

No comments: