Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chapter 1: The great apartment search - Second round

I was hired because of the Al Raha Beach project, which is the biggest project in Envac history. But like all projects also this one needs a signed contract. When I was visiting UAE in July the Al Raha Beach contract of Envac pipe installations for the whole development was about to be signed. As time was flowing I heard several guaranteed rumors about the project signature. In August, in middle September, when I was in Sweden, last week and yesterday. But it is probably nothing strange when you are dealing with sheikhs. Today I’ve heard another guaranteed news. It will be next week. Like every week J And because I was sitting in Yas Island, I wasn’t assigned to a specific task, so I was just going through drawings, studying and waiting for the contract to be signed.

It was good because could focus on finding an apartment and be ready for work in Al Raha. So it wasn’t surprising when on Monday called a property agent, because I had called to so many of them. I with Kamil we arranged a visit of the apartment on 6pm after work.

After the first experience with Abu Dhabi properties I lowered my requirements. Now I was looking also in outskirts in Muroor area and I rose my budget to 70000Dhs in order to find something prettier and more human.

It started very well. An agent with shirt and tie in black SUV came and took us to see the apartment. His name was Ali and he was born in Pakistan but lived long time in Italy. Actually he wasn’t a Pakistani anymore, because all the time he was complaining about habits and life style of his fellow brothers. How they are slow, lazy, how they take prayer as an excuse to not work or how they are dirty and lousers. Very nice man and he seemed to understand our wishes.

A bit lulled we stopped in a nice and quiet street close to 23rd street in the location he promised. But the bigger was the surprise when we saw the house. Exactly the same style as the previous one. But after the big white wall there was a construction site. They were renovating the villa and there was mess and dirt everywhere. A bit preoccupied we stepped into the apartment that was like 2 meters high, 4x3 meters big room without windows with miniature bathroom and probably no kitchen. Fortunately there was another apartment in that building. With expectations of an improvement we stepped into high and big room, but also without windows!! It has a bathroom but there were nothing. “Three days sir” said the villa owner. Anybody even after only one week in this country couldn’t believe this man. Nor did we. The price of 80000Dhs was just a last nail into the coffin of this man and whole journey. When we left Ali was calming us and promised to give us a tour tomorrow around some apartments with windows.


1 comment:

JIRI!!! said...

Sorry...I wanted to put the video directly into the post, but I have f.... slow connection so it collapsed!! Next time :)