Monday, November 3, 2008

Chapter 0, The Company

Actually Monday 27.10. was the first day when I was doing something for the company…..Wait a minute!! I didn’t tell you anything about this mysterious company I signed to right? So it has to be changed immediately... 

ENVAC  is a Swedish company owned by another Swedish company STENA, who’s cargo ships you can see all over Gőteborg and STENA is owned by a rich Swedish family.

 ENVAC has developed a system of vacuum waste transportation. So instead of overfilled garbage containers, stinking piles of rotten fruit, beer cans in front of your door or drunken garbage men making noise with trash bins, you just dump your waste to a strange looking pipe and the system will transport it through underground pipe net to a collection station out of the area, from which a garbage truck takes it away .


ENVAC has four departments (North Europe, South Europe, Asia and Middle East) with many offices all over the world.

So that particular Monday, three and a half month after signing the contract, I started to be a part of the company. After a morning six kilometer walk around the city, I stepped into a classroom to meet my future.

Along with three Swedes, two Norwegians, four Chinese, one from Hong Kong, two Spanish and one Filipino from Dubai, we started our education as professional Envac workers. At least I did because basically I didn’t know anything about the system, in contrast with others, who were already working in Envac for some time. 

We got a personal training mission to try to design a system on our own based on the learned knowledge, but as all home works, they always have a lot of time left to do it…so I plan to start today J After a dinner…

I have now more than a half of the classes behind. I am slowly getting a sharper image of the system and we also visited some installations so I put a face to a voice. I had been expecting a set of strict regulations and rules, that would make the job more or less simple…something like…if this occurs, do this….but all the problems depend a lot on variables like amount of waste thrown out by people, how much glass is there, what is the weather today and these data differs country to country. Other thing…as the system is getting more and more specific and need to expand to fit higher requirements, the regions develop their own ways of solving the problems. So there is often not only one truth. A lot of experience is then!!

But let’s see…I am already looking a bit forward to start. Seems to be fun J

P.S. I would really like to tell you more about how the system actually work, but I was told that everything is highly confidential!! So I will keep my mouth shut…for now;)

No comments: