Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chapter 0: Running men

On Friday we all were facing our first weekend outside home countries. Actually not all of us. For the numerous Scandinavian group it was just a normal weekend so they fled like university students to their families and wives to Stockholm, Malmő or Oslo.

For me it was different. I felt like I am obliged to not to stay at the hotel for the whole weekend. Actually is a common feeling I get when I am abroad. I have a lot of energy, will and determination to be always doing something and to be using the time for something meaningful. And especially here were the impulses very strong as long as you have to wear a jacket and a hat even in your hotel room. So better to get moving.

I wasn’t alone willing to do some activity during the weekend, but I was the only one with an idea what to do. So with Marc from Barcelona and Iker from Bilbao we went to visit Gőteborg  tourist information in the middle of a huge shopping mall. There was a typically nice and good-looking Swedish girl behind the desk. With a good intention but a bit of apprehension I asked her where I could go hiking to the nature. She wanted to send me to the outskirts of Gőteborg to some park but  from an uneasiness of her voice and her face expression I knew, that she had no idea what I wanted. So I changed tactics and ask for some nice place to visit !outside! the city and she immediately provided us with a tip for a nice trip to a fortress in the coastal village of Marstrand. From my previous research on the internet I was thinking about that place before, so her fast reaction was just a routine and maybe the only tip for a bit more active visitors. It’s so hard to be different J

The forecast for tomorrow was positive, so we were leaving the office satisfied. After a minute I was coming back, because I forgot to ask for a cinema program, when a duo of young a bit darker men ran around me and dropped something to a trash bin. When I came closer I saw a brand new DVD laying on a top of the bin. Further inspection showed that it was a Playstation 2 game with the DVD still inside!! I knew that they threw two thing away, so I looked inside the bin a found another. I didn’t hesitate and pulled the other one out of it. I immediately hid them in my jacket, because they were certainly stolen a short while ago a I didn’t want to have problems J

According to this, does anybody know if the missing hardware key in the box is an important feature for playing the game? Because I don’t understand why anybody would steal something and dump it right after!!! (write it as a comment please, that I could dump it again :)

That evening we ended in a pub having dinner and a few beers. The Czech beer culture showed up as usual, today in addition powered by a great sorrow of my broken WIFI card. Suddenly I had fifth beer against my colleagues one and they were about to leave. To bad if you want to drink to grief and there is nobody around to pour troubles to. Fortunately there were Divon and Patrick from our group too, so I said goodbye to the Spanish and joined the Chinese for one more. After my ten minutes long monologue I realized that they weren’t actually drinking with me and they didn’t even have a drink in front of them.  So I released them and they gladly left me with a beer almost full. Too bad!!

But indeed it wasn’t a waste, the last beer. Sadly sitting in my bed half an hour later and staring at the dead orange light that should be blinking, Patrick and Anson came with a spare USB WIFI device which they had extra. That they have heard about the tragedy and I can borrow it. Hooray…and the day was saved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn, the czech culture didnt show up when you were drinking, but when you were digging in that trashbin :) If you would at least have a playstation2, man :D

I dont know whether you need that key or nor though...