Monday, November 3, 2008

Chapter 0: What shall we do with the frozen sailor

Swedes are Vikings from their history. But they fight and argue with Danes and Norwegians who actually is the True Viking. All of them say that they are. But I believe that the Danes are the ones  :)

Anyway…The fleet of various ships in GÅ‘teborg is worth of a Viking nation. Starting with a boat taxi I take every day to “work”. It’s so nice to spend the first fifteen minutes of the day in a warm, spacious and quiet ship. Forget the Prague subway. This is a different public transport.

But as you know, I am no Viking and I was raised on the slopes of Mt. Jested (just 7836 meters shorter than Mt. Everest) so I was much more attracted by a small rock close to our classroom, almost the only higher point around.

The first day I didn’t have time to try an ascent because we ended as scheduled around 6 pm and is was already dark. So I went to the hotel and was preparing for the next day. On Tuesday after the visit to nearby Envac installation we were done at 3 pm, so I didn’t hesitate even a minute and climbed up.

The view was stunningly beautiful. Completely clear purple sky with orange sun just touching the horizon far away in the North Sea. Dark shapes of huge harbor cranes in Volvo factory towering to the sky and it seemed like they wanted to support the falling sun and prevent night from coming. Breathtaking. And why am I describing this to you instead of showing some pictures? Guess why…I forgot my camera at home!! Stupid!!

From Wednesday became usual that we finish classes earlier than scheduled, so I got a second chance and I was prepared. It wasn’t that breathtaking as the other day, but not that bad either. 

Sweden is more or less like Czech Republic. It gets dark at 5 pm, there is the same unpleasant cold, around zero degrees, there is usually no snow during the winter (at least at the southern part of Sweden) and it rains often. A little, but often. This week was an extraordinary good weather without any rain and more or less clear sky, but the temperatures around zero remained. And it’s getting worse because at the morning there is a white frost on the ground.

On Thursday we end the day in a collection station in the city center, so I decided to return to the hotel on foot across a large park here with a small ZOO on the top the central hill. Just at the park entrance a typically nice and good looking Swedish girl with a microphone stopped me and asked me a question “What are you looking forward right now?”. I didn’t want to think a long time about an answer so I quickly replied what came on my mind first: “I am looking forward to the hot weather in Abu Dhabi where I will start working next week”.

If you want some spicy story about what happened next, I disappoint you. There wasn’t any. And during the walk to the hotel I was thinking if I was honest with my answer. And already wearing all my at least a bit warm clothes, I had to admit that I was!! 

No comments: