Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chapter -0.5: Reality

Previously on JIRI....
Ordinary guy seeking peace and balance for his soul. Driven by greed and hunger for extraordinary experience and adventure travels far east looking for fulfillment of his existence leaving everything behind. But along the way lurk many dangers. Will he succeed or fail…Let’s find out…

At the beginning of these two months nothing much was happening. I got a certified copy of my diploma, international driving license, some fresh passport photos. Everything send lightning fast to Dubai office. But as my departure date was closing and I wasn’t receiving any visa confirmation, I started getting nervous. And my increasing fears came true one week before 1.10.
Because Arabian people are highly religious and like holidays, they had one month Ramadan whole September, when they don’t work much. Especially in government offices. So my visa was far from ready. There was a little success though after these two months. They managed to gather all necessary information and accepted my application and from now it should have taken them 10 days to issue the visa. With a small detail, that they would start working on it when they open the office on 5.10. after another short one week holiday. So far so good :)
I gave them three weeks just to be sure and tried to rebook my flight on 27.10. Unfortunately the flight was full so I decided to cancel it and wait for the visa and buy the ticket after I get it. I lost 200EUR because of the cancellation thanks to cheap flights policies.
And because I was already unemployed I found a good job in our garden in digging some long delayed projects like a garden lake, which has been just a shallow hole in the ground for more than a decade. Days were passing with no messages about my situation, so I kept digging, slowly adapting to an easy trouble-free life of an unemployed.
And then it came. To my surprise it was directly a ticket to Dubai set on Saturday 25.10. Great, I thought. But the idea of going to work again after three weeks of mentally simple physical work, computer and card games playing, beer drinking during the whole day and sleeping ten hours a day, was a bit sad. But it’s worth trying :)
The next day I received another message that my flight has to be rebooked to Tuesday 28.10. because a computer system in the immigration office is working only on Sunday and it needs to process my visa. Does it seem impossible to you? To me to, but you cannot do anything. Shut up and follow.
The next day I got a call that I should attend to two week design training in Gothenburg starting on Monday 27.10.
So…after three months of preparation, paperwork, ticket machinations and waiting for a hot hug of Dubai, I ended up with a ticket to cold arms of Sweden :)

From desert to tundra, from south to north…one path doesn’t have to have only one destination…to be continued…

No comments: