Monday, December 16, 2013

Racing Qatar - Sharq Village Charity 15k run

          For several reasons I was really looking forward to this race, rather than MTB on Friday. It was on Saturday at 2pm so I could sleep enough, have a good and long breakfast and slowly drive to the start having plenty of time to warm up, stretch and put my head together. It was a run and a long one, and I knew that I’m much better in running. I was eager to try if I can push my limits and finish within one hour and I knew that I can fight for the victory. And although I didn’t know if there were any prizes, I had a feeling that it might be something like last year at The Torch staircase run since a hotel resort was organizing it J
          It was a nice sunny and warm day, perfect for running. The route got changed last minute to the airport cycle path instead of Corniche because of construction which was bad for the attractiveness of the venue, but was better from the running point of view, because there was more space. We walked across the street to the start and along with other around 40 runners I lined up at the start. And off we went!
          he leading group shot ahead quite fast and I had to follow them, because I didn’t want to lose contact with the front. It was a long race, but it is always to be in front and put pressure J 3:45 min/km was just 15 seconds faster than my intended pace, so I rather easily ran 30m behind and was waiting what this pace will do to the others. 3:45 is fast running and not everyone can do this for 15k! I felt that I might and wanted to try.
          The pace was stable for 2k and then everyone started to slow down. Everyone except me and one guy and soon we were running together far ahead of the rest. There was quite strong headwind and maintain even my 4 min/km was difficult, but not that much that my heart rate or me would go out of the comfort zone. Breathing easy, running lightly, doing long steps and hearing Victor’s heavy breath and short stride on my shoulder was the first half of the race.
          There was a bit surprise waiting for us, because the halfway mark and turning point was on the kilometer 8.5 and not 7.5! This meant 2k more of running and it brought a tiny worry into my mind! “No problem! Now it is downwind…let’s take advantage of it, speed up and be there sooner!” I said, spun around the half way cone, prolonged my pace and started to open the gap.
          It was an amazing feeling. Flying 3:45 min/km on the tenth kilometer and not being much tired. I again wondered where all this came from. But who cares…it was there so I used it and finish those 17k in 1:06:35! I was running a bit out of energy and slowing down the last three or four kilometers, but there was still a bit left for a push or sprint if needed. But Victor was far behind, so there was no stress J I think this was probably my the best run I’ve ever done and I don’t think I ever felt that powerful!
          And guess what was the first prize? One night stay with breakfast in the Sharq Village and Spa resort J Couple more of races like this and I will know all the best Doha hotels for free! Now let’s catch up with biking and get the same empowering and invincible feeling on two wheels!

No comments: