Sunday, December 15, 2013

Racing Qatar – Al Khor community sprint triathlon

          Events organized by Al Khor community are always very popular, because they are held in their beautiful compound with pool and they always have a nice after race lunch J And of course that they are very well run.
          I did their annual triathlon twice in the past. The first time I went badly wrong way and the second time I was just too new to triathlon and finished somewhere around 10th place if I remember correctly. This year everything was different! I had the right gear, experience, skills and I was much stronger that last time. And with strength comes confidence which was boosted by fact that none of the strongest guys I knew were on the start line J
          Anyway…the day started with a strange feeling that I don’t remember experiencing for a long time. When the alarm rang I immediately sat up on the bed, my eyes open and I could just feel energy running through my body. I was not tired or sleepy and I felt like I could start running right now! “It’s gonna be a good today” I thought with a smile J I had also a professional race photographer with me, because my beautiful Jitka was doing me a company, so I had one more reason to push to the limits. Everything was set and I was ready. But since I jumped to the pool many small small things started coming, were distracting me and I had to fight a tough mental battle not to lose concentration and keep going.
          First were the 30 lengths of a 22.5m pool. I learned before how to do a flip turn to speed up my swim, but I was afraid to use it here, because we were swimming in circle with two others and I was not confident that I wouldn’t cause some collision, so I was turning as always. Then my goggle got fogged and I had a hard time to see forward and not to hit the end of the pool. But I refused to clear them and was swimming the last laps almost blind! Obviously my style and speed were affected and my swim was slow. How slow I can’t say, because I forgot to push the button…again!
          Transition was good and it was really pity that I couldn’t try my new triathlon specific shoes, because there was manufacture fault and I couldn’t use them! Instead I used my normal shoes, but since I learned how to put them on the bike directly and had a trisuit, I was quite fast there. Run in, put sunglasses, put helmet, grab bike and run out.
          It took me a while to slip into the shoes while on the bike, but still much faster than putting them in the transition area. Then I could enjoy my second strongest discipline, so I grabbed the aerobars and pushed forward over some roundabouts and humps. Unfortunately the last of the hums was so big that I lost my only water bottle! I briefly though to stop and recover it, maybe I should have, but at the end I said: “It’s just half an hour in the bike. I can manage without water!” and I continued.
          Of course I can ride 24k without water, but how fast? Being there and knowing that I’m closing to 45 minutes of maximum exercise without any water I was deep inside afraid to go full speed. I was afraid that I might get too thirsty and then run out of energy that I was just not pushing as hard I could. And in a sprint triathlon giving all you got is the way to go.
          So I overtook a few people and was going around 36km/h average seeing only Iain 100m behind me. This was the fact that made me just cruise like that, because here was not getting closer and I had a feeling that I was the first in the race! It was just a wrong attitude, because what if I wasn’t!
          But it could probably be even worse if I didn’t read the race report from DC Rainmaker the previous day. It was about how he mentally blew up the race, because one thing was not as he expected! I was thinking about it the whole time and it definitely helped me not to slow don’t even more and keep fighting. Nothing is lost until you are in the finish and anything can happen!
          Seeing the end and water in the transition area I speeded up in the last lap. And it was quite easy to increase the speed for 2km/h. Iain did the same and we arrived to the transition almost side by side and in the lead of the race.
          I grabbed a spare bottle from my bag losing some time in the process of course and run out trying to drink and recover. I also took one Turbo snack for the finish, but obviously I got a light side stitch from not keeping the breathing rhythm. So I had to slow down to 4 min/km, try to get rid of the pain and recover. Fortunately Iain is not the fastest runner, so he was at his maximum when I was running easy and recovering J
          Luckily after 2k the pain went away and I got back to normal. Normal meant that I could just gear up and go 3:30 pace for the remaining 3k just like nothing. I just don’t know where all this speed is coming from. I have never been able to run this fast and I don’t remember doing much running training. I think I’m a bit weaker on the bike than before, but the run speeds I can do now are just strange! But it feels great, that’s for sure J
          So my miracle run saved me again and won me another great finish time and trophy. 1:06:21 is fair time, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. But every such experience is valuable and is taking me forward. So maybe one day I will be completely happy with my performance J

No comments: