Sunday, December 15, 2013

Racing Qatar – Aspire aquathlon 2

          Although I gave everything in the MTB duathlon on Friday, I didn’t feel especially tired and didn’t hesitate to race the second Aspire aquathlon on Saturday morning. This is such a short and well run event that you just go there even if it should be just a nice warm up to a new day! But it is never a complete warm up for me and this time was same as always…try race 100% and get below that damn 30min mark J
          Pool layout was a bit different and we were starting from the other side, but I didn’t matter at all. I started the swim rather cautiously trying to lengthen my strokes and save breath, because from my training I know that my speed is always the same no matter how hard and fast I try to swim. “Let’s save energy. My time will be the same anyway” I was calming myself down during the swim. Garmin later confirmed that although my stroke count was rising during the swim, my speed was decreasing J Swimming mystery!!
          I got a super quick transition, one of the fastest of all racers, and started the run with 10:15 on the clock. “So I just have to run in 19 minutes and it is mine J” I smiled and confidence started to crawl up my spine. With that information in mind I didn’t start 100% and was catching up my breath during the first 2 kilometers at 3:45 min/km pace, my goal pace. I felt my legs a bit and didn’t want to rush into having side stitches. So I cruised at 3:45 and around the 3rd kilometer I felt confident enough to speed up to the final 3:30 sprint! I just couldn’t not to push for better time than the goal.
          So I did it J And I was actually way better than I would ever have expected! 28:58 was time from a dreamland which became reality! “Wow…I better wait for the prize ceremony. Maybe there would be a place on the podium for me” I hoped knowing that in the last race this time would be enough for the bronze.
          Unfortunately some new guys came and I ended up fourth, 2 minutes behind. That was a bit disappointing and immediately my joy from my great result was a bit smaller. “What I have to do to be another minute faster next time?” I started to ask myself when going home empty handed. One is never happy enough J

No comments: