Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Racing Qatar – Duhail duathlon

          New week, new challenge! And this time my favorite one…MTB duathlon in Duhail! Not many people showed up, it didn’t matter. I wanted to go as fast as possible and get back my lost winning mind I lost in Mesaieed!
          I wanted to start the first run lap at 4 min/km, but as lately very often, I’m pushed by circumstances to go much faster and surprisingly often it is because I just feel like running faster.  And for some reason I just can run faster than I’ve been ever able to!! Where did this strength come from? No idea! It is just there J
          This time it was combination of fast legs and Ondrej who really wanted to give me hard time! When we run our training runs, he refuses to run faster than 5 min/km so didn’t consider him a thread. But it was probably his strategy, because now he started chasing me at sub-4 min pace!! “What? The garmin has be wrong!” I wondered when flying over the stones and dirt at 3:30. It was not wrong J
          In the transition I had around 2 minutes lead so I started the bike fast, but not crazy fast. I completed the first lap just below 14 minutes and was happy that I was going faster than at the last endurance race here.
           I got a bit too confident and I completely forgot to look back. So to my great surprise when I check the situation behind my shoulders at the beginning of the second lap I saw Ondrej and Les few meters behind me! “What? This is impossible!!” I screamed and started pedaling like a madman. It was to no help, because in no time Les caught me and passed me like I was standing. “What? This cannot be” I wondered in disbelief that I can do absolutely nothing to keep up with him at least for a few meters! So he disappeared and Ondrej was next. He took a bit more time, but passed my also in the middle of the second lap. “He is here one lap too early” a thought blazed through my mind. I knew that I would probably have to chase back on the second run what I lose on the bike, but I was planning to chase one lap gap…not two!
          Although Ondrej in few places suddenly gained 30 meters advantage out of nothing, I was able to gain it back every time and keep a pace with him. I was pedaling with bigger effort, but the speed was good and I was happy that I’m capable of such speed. I thought that I somehow lost all my MTB shape, but I think I’ll still be a tough opponent J
          We finished four laps of biking practically in the same time, but it was clear from the first meters that Ondrej was quite tired. I passed him just at the beginning and continued at decent pace forward feeling good. And then there was the end…
          Les was a lap behind, because he was doing a relay and I passed his runner at the end of my first bike lap, so I finished first of everyone! Got a trophy, but most importantly I enjoyed the race and gained back some confidence to future events! And I started seriously thinking about duathlon being my type of race J

No comments: