Sunday, January 4, 2009

Black&White kaleidoscope of the year's end

Same story like Christmas. I almost didn’t notice that 2008 was about to end. There were so many other things to think about and do than remembering how the last year was or giving myself some New Year resolutions. Everything went straight to the new episode.

Almost means that I was invited to Rune’s New Year party. It was a rather small reunion of three pairs and me in Rune’s apartment. Luckily we didn’t buy tickets to some official celebration in a hotel or club, because the mighty sheikh of UAE forbad celebrate the New Year as a gesture of sympathy for Palestine!!! But private parties are something else so we proceeded J

When I saw Rune wearing a shirt and Nicolai even a tie I thought it would be a serious family celebration but as usually happens where a right liquid support is provided, my worries were soon forgotten and the New Year started as every year should. Here is a proof J



Before....during....and after...how convenient :)

Somebody told me that me posts are fine, but there is a lack of Arabic world. OK..you got it. This is my Arabic world. One of the most important things for surviving is an internet connection. In Dubai as a commercial hub of Middle East they offer this service and it is provided by two companies Etisalat and DU. Both are state enterprises, they have divided market to not to compete and created a monopoly environment. My house is a DU house so I went to DU store on 1.12. to buy a 4Mbs connection. 450Dhs/month..ouch!! What can I do L The technician came to my house to install it on Saturday 6.12., but because there was some problem with a router, they didn’t finish the installation and told me that in three days somebody would call me and make a new appointment. Pity, but what can I do.

I waited three days, four…I waited one week. Nothing. “The router is probably not working still, but let’s check it out” I thought and went to the store again to ask. “We apologize sir” was a kind answer of the girl in the store. “I will write them an email and in 48 hours they will call you back”. I waited 48 hours, 72 hours, even 96 hours. Nothing! “ I need to push them bit harder” I decided and went back. “We apologize sir” sweet answer melted my rising anger. “I will write them an official complain through our system and in 48 hours they call you back”.

“We apologize sir” I heard again when after deaf 48 hours I was back. “The router is already fine is the answer to your last complain”. “What!!! I almost shouted. “I will make an official request for your new inslallation……..”. “Yeah, yeah and they will call me back” I said already walking out.

Of course nothing. So I armed bigger caliber. DU customer service on the phone. “We apologize sir” sounded like a bad joke from the phone. “I contacted our technical department and in 24 hours they call you back”.

“We apologize sir”…..”We apologize sir”….”Call you back”…..”Call you back”…I started to call them every day. Same answer, same solution. My anger was overwhelmed by despair.

After three weeks I got different answer “There is a problem in the main server room, we need to change whole cable”. “They have to be kidding me” I thought and went look from the balcony where 15 Indians were digging a trench!! “It will take forever”. I conceded calling them again and resigned to ever having internet.

But miracles sometimes happen. Two days before the New Year somebody competent got to my file of at least 20 complains and requests and suddenly out of nowhere a technician came on 31.12. I got finally online!!

I stated before that 80% of happiness here is a car. I cannot say that I am unhappy, but a car would definitely a bonus. But first I need a driving license. You already know that Czech Republic is not on the list so I had to choose an official way. A driving school. Yes dears. I went to the driving school again. At least I was able to go directly to the road test and didn’t need to do any driving classes after 10 years of driving.

So on 31.12. at 7:30am I stood along with a crowd of Pakistanis and Filipinos in the foggy Wednesday morning. “Visibility is bad. We have to wait” said RTA Arab officer and went to the office to fill his pipe. After 2 hours of waiting the fog went out. By that time all lady drivers were done and beginners with lurching Toyotas were out for training.

I was in the car with two Indians and one Filipino. Filipino got through two roundabouts with only speeding, putting hand behind co-driver’s seat when reversing, bad signaling and not listening to the officer. First Indian went 10 meters until he drove out of the road then turning the car. I was far the best out of them all, but I was terribly nervous, not focusing and driving as I normally do so I got among others not signaling at all, releasing the clutch to quickly causing lurching, swings too wide, stalls the car, continually drives in two lanes..etc.

The last Indian who knew only how to push the throttle unfortunately had to drive back. So we got almost hit by a car at the first roundabout and turned over at the second. Results? Terrible L We all failed!!

But next time I will be prepared. I have to do 8 driving classes and then I go again J

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:-O ...you didn't say anything about 8 driving classes. Oh, that must so suck...:)