Friday, December 12, 2008

I do it the Dubai way

On the Friday I moved in I didn’t have time to fix all necessary things for my new but hollow apartment because we went to Rugby 7. I knew what rugby was and that the best is New Zealand but how they play it or what are the rules I had no clue. This was before I came to UAE. Fortunately I had a chance to see one rugby game in Abu Dhabi. It was after a company lunch in old British club where we were scoring from 2pm until I was left alone in a hotel sportbar somewhere in the city in the night. I was quite tired by that time so with a glass still full I fell into a comfortable chair, closed one eye to see only once and started watching football on a big screen. I didn’t feel like going home so I ordered one more and the program switched to rugby. Australia against Fiji. And that was my first experience with rugby.

The Rugby 7 is a smaller version of rugby only with 7 players. And because this sport is popular, sheikhs decided to make a tournament. They build a stadium in the middle of the desert 50 kilometers far from Dubai exclusively for that. Probably they were afraid of unsuficient parking places.  Because Envac was sponsoring this action a bit, we got tickets.

Three days before Rune called me that I should be at 11am at his place, because we are going together 18 people in a special mean of transport. “Bus is nothing special but it will be cheaper than go by taxis” I thought, but all the bigger was my surprise when Rune explained to me that he rented a limousine. And I immediately remembered those long Hummer limos riding in Las Vegas.

And it was true!! It wasn’t a Hummer though, it had been already booked, so we had to settle for a Chrysler limo J But it was equally great…like in a club from 80’s with all the tiny lights, leather seats, glasses and loud music. So in fancy Envac t-shirts and bags full of cold hop drinks we boarded this monster and went cruising through the city picking up more people on the way. Just great!!

And in the same spirit continued the whole day at the Rugby 7. We just changed our bags for very useful and loaded cooling ones from Heineken. At the end we were quite short of will and ideas how to get home, so we just called the limo again and had a real party on the wheels on our way back.

He next day we agreed that we probably haven’t seen a single game from the beginning to the end J

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome :D ...can't stop laughing about that limo :D I think I can imagine how it was...:)

JIRI!!! said...

JJ It was :) Especially the way back when everybody was in veeery good mood...I don't know why everybody wanted traveling from one end to the other...imagine how it was in the narrow limo full of people dancing in the sitting position...easiest way was just jump on and let the crowd carry you :D