Thursday, December 11, 2008

The great apartment search: Early final

Wednesday was far from over after the blood test. Actually it was just the beginning. Just after Nilo took us back to the office I drove to see a place I’ve heard and read a lot about and during last two days it was my ace in the sleeve in this tricky game of “Where should I put my head”. That location was called the Discovery Gardens.

Discovery Gardens is one of many newly built residential areas in Dubai. It’s four kilometers long and one wide rectangle filled with buildings divided into almost only studio or one bedroom apartments. The fact that it is new means that it’s a western style living and the fact that it is in Dubai means a reasonable price, because there are newly build flats everywhere. That brings a question…is there really a demand for such living capacities? And that is not all by far. They started building huge projects in Abu Dhabi like Al Raha Beach or Saadyiat Island and in Dubai they started Dubai Waterfront which will be twice as big as Hong Kong!!It seems to me that now almost everybody who rents an apartment is working in a business related to construction of those projects and when they finish one day all the people will go back home and there will be nobody left to live in all those buildings. Already now the residential towers seem empty. And the prices are high enough that the regular Pakistani workers cannot afford it and those are a majority of people here!! But I hope that he sheikhs have some aces in the sleeve as well how to prevent the country from becoming a ghost town. It would be such a shame J

So when I drove in the area it was immediately clear that this place is what I was looking for. New, clean, spacious, green, maintained…beautiful. Area is great let’s go see the flats. I had some directions from agents and I had to go on my own there and see if I like it. All opened apartments are free, the closed ones are gone. Fair enough.

First I went to the Mediterranean cluster. The houses really looked like from Croatia or Italy. After I saw like four of them it was clear that they are all the same design and size around 55 sq/m with nice kitchen and bathroom and completely unfurnished. But there was one thing I was missing…a balcony. I think the balcony is an essential feature of all apartments. Thinking and considering hard I moved to Zen cluster. Different color and architecture, different style and size of buildings, but with apartments same as before. With one difference…all had balconies!! And there I got cracked and started weighting pros and cons. 

Basically there was only one big minus that I would have to travel 100 kilometers every day to work and back but It would be only on highway and driving 160km/h it would take 40 minutes. On the other hand there were several positives…it was cheaper, exactly what I was looking for, nice view, friends living nearby and a lot of possibilities what to do when I came back form work like tennis court, swimming pool a huge shopping mall in walking distance with cinema and in Dubai in general there are more things to do than in Abu Dhabi.

What would you choose? I think it’s obvious J Then it was a quick procedure. I negotiated with the managers of the real estate agency even a better price, paid the booking deposit and all the next week I was praying for them to keep their word. Fortunately they did and on Friday morning on 28.11. I moved my hockey bag into my new home, stepped on the balcony and started enjoying the view which will be pleasing me hopefully next several years.

No comments: