Monday, June 3, 2013

Racing 2013 – Stage 4: Inland Sea Traverse

          Just one week after the Fortress Challenge there was the last Qatar Chain Reaction MTB race, The Inland Sea Traverse. 40k though desert on hard salt plains, soft sand and with several dune crossings where you have to push your bike up and down a dune! When I’m now thinking about it, it looks even tougher than the Fortress Challenge itself!
           It was a one way race with start at the Sealine Beach resort, close to where the paved road ends and the race finish was on the shore of Inland Sea at the end of the desert highway. We saved some morning driving and camped on the finish line on Thursday. We didn’t save much, because that 40k drive is almost an hour anyway, but at least we kept company to the race organizers Davy and Ondrej who were setting up the flags and the marking the track.
          The race morning was calm and quiet with clouds running across the sky threatening to put some rainy twist to the race! I put the same secret tech as last year and put on sand gaiters and clip-on aero bars and was thinking about easy race. I was terribly mistaken! Sometimes I don’t understand myself…one day I load all the possible gear for all possible or even impossible scenarios and sometimes I skip some little thing that I think can get somewhere else and no need to pack it now. This time I didn’t bring my pump. “Yeah…everyone is going to have one there. I’ll borrow!” They had, but without gauge, so in the pre-start rush I put too much air in the tires. And hard tires in the sand slow you down ten times more that aero bars can gain you on the flat!
          When the race started, I got quite fast to the lead. Only Ondrej was stuck on my wheel and drafting. “ No helping this time  my friend. The race is on as always!” I said to myself and tried to shake him off using roadie techniques of sudden changing of lanes and sprinting. Didn’t work! “Let’s try at the first dune crossing” I planned. It worked there and I gained around 100 meters lead. But the problem was that even when clenched in aero bars on the hard salt plain pedaling full speed, my lead was not increasing! And the first worries crawled into my mind.
           After the second dune the gap remained the same, but after some sand patch crossings I he started slowly getting closer. And I felt I was running out of gas! He caught me on the third and fourth dune which were connected into one long sand stretch! I picked the car driven track and tried to get on the bike and ride a bit, as I remembered I successfully did last year, but it didn’t work! Ondrej came first out of the dune, but I quickly caught him up and this time it was me who was drafting.
          I ate a gel and tried to recover some strength for the last six flat kilometers coming after the last two dunes. But when we got there, it was obvious that somehow I didn’t have the strength to fight with Ondrej pedaling with ease. Nice gesture from him was that he waited for me couple of times…probably as a payback for the Challenge. But same as there, here also was nobody behind us for several minutes, so even if we didn’t help each other, we would have taken first two places J But it is nice the help and also been helped!
          Last sand patch 500m before the start ensured me that I had my tires too hard seeing Ondrej glide though and me getting drowned after ten meters! We crossed the finish together, in the standings we had the same time, but true winner is him!
         I finished the race in 1:31 hours and when sitting in the shade, sipping cold water and waiting for the others, I realized that this was a first MTB race in the last year or two that I didn’t win! Warning buddy…you are not invincible as you might have thought J

No comments: