Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Racing Qatar 2011 - On the winning wave

Short Friday Intividual Time Trials were originally organized by road bikers, but because mountain bikers wanted to have fun also, there has been introduced MTB category with separate offroad track. But one time trial showed that going across all those stones and bumps alone and only against time is not the fun we were used to, so instead of having second ITT we changed it to normal MTB race with mass start, still on the same track but with 5 laps instead of 3. And the race could begin!!
I started again from the middle, I don’t why I’m still doing that when I know that now tactic will stop me from going full speed no matter what! So with my usual speed “Go 5 laps and die” I caught Davy on the lead in the first quarter of the first round and followed him until the second half, because I just couldn’t pass him on that stony technical part. But once we got onto the second half of the track which was pretty straightforward dirt road, I overtook him and took the lead. Davy kept the pace for the rest of the lap but then, as he said “…then it was time for me to let go of the “Beast from the East”, that’s how they were calling me after the Zikreet race J So I was alone in the lead again, just passing people one even two rounds back.
“Juhuuu…” I shouted with clenched fist in the air when finishing the last lap. “Jiri..don’t stop…one more round…” scorekeepers yelled at me. “What? It can’t be…I did 5 laps!!” I responded in disbelief. “No Jiri seriously..one more to go”. With no watch, bike computer or GPS I couldn’t argue, so I kept going. I should have been dead by now, so was going much slower.
“Hey Jiri…you do one extra lap?” asked me one rider when I was overtaking him. “Hey Jiri…you do a lap of honor?” asked me David when I overtook him. And then I realized that I was right. I really did 5 laps and was sent to the sixth!! And then I got a puncture ripping the tire and tube apart.
“OK…whatever…I guess this is a price for winning last 3 MTB races J” And not giving much chances to the others. This time I finished 54:36, 3 minutes ahead of the second.

No comments: