Thursday, October 3, 2013

Racing Qatar Stage 7: Doksyman

          Exactly one week after my Ironman which we spend kitesurfing in Baltic Sea, I had another race. It was a Half Ironman distance triathlon in Doksy 30km from my home in Czech Republic. And I was really looking forward to it J
          Strange is that I’m never as wrecked after a triathlon than I’m after only a long distance run! So even after a monster race like the Ironman, I felt great and full of power. And because the expected race time was around 5 hours, I was ready to go full speed! Jan was competing also as his first triathlon and my parents were coming to support us, so it was even more motivation to do well. And I somehow felt that I would enjoy this one a lot! And exactly like that it went J
          1.9km of open water swimming in a lake without wetsuit felt cold, but only until the siren sounded. “Let’s just floor the swim and see what happens” I decided and started swimming as fast as I could. It lasted about 500 meters and then I had to slow down. No breath, no strength and I had to swim as usual. I couldn’t catch my tempo, was crashing with other slow swimmers, losing direction and I felt slow. “Surprisingly” I really was slow and 43 minutes were deep inside the second half.
          Jan arrived shortly after me in the transition where I was struggling to put my jersey and other things on. Took me an eternity to get out and start pedaling. I wanted to keep my cadence high, but this time I wanted to put a bit more power! And it worked. I was flying over 35km/h average past all those people I lost during the swim and there was always someone ahead to chase and to give me a push. Jan was struggling a bit, because he swallowed too much water, but everytime I saw him in the other direction it still seemed that I was not pulling away from him that much! At the end that was probably my best bike ride ever! Fun over few small hills though the forest, blasting downhills 50km/h in aero position passing many others and staying out of any pain. Pure joy J I completed these 90km in 2:33 hours and felt strong.
          Run transition was quick and I was on the last 21 kilometers of partly trail and partly road run though a cooling forest. I briefly stopped to put my knee band to fend off coming knee pain and was dashing though the trail at 4:30 min/km! This time I didn’t slow down! “Let’s try if I can keep the pace!” I said and kept going passing more competitors along the way. And it worked again and I sprinted to the finish in one and half hours, with 4:49:10 overall time and on 38th position out of 250 racers! Jan took his run easy and finished with 5:26:14 just in the half of the field. Not bad at all for a first triathlon J
          It was just great and I felt equally great. I was pushing, sprinting, chasing…I was racing! No thinking of survival, preserving energy. No struggle, no pain. Ok…there was pain, but it was a different pain. Pain from pushing hard and not from going too long. This race was just perfect. Not too short, not too long, just right J
          It cemented my decision of trying to focus more on having fun doing sport. Racing is fun, but it has to be a fun race. And Half Ironman distance triathlon is one of the most fun races I’ve done! I think I want more J

No comments: