Monday, November 28, 2011

One week in a year

          One problem with all holiday is that they are never enough. Four weeks of leave a year is not much and apart from that Qatar is one of the countries with the least number of public holidays. We have only 7 days a year. So its five weeks a year! One week for small single days off, three week expedition holiday somewhere around the world and we have one week left do go home L
          Because with all this racing I just couldn’t fit everything I wanted into these five weeks, I cheated and took leave form the next year! But even then I after I came back from Coast to Coast I had only one week to spend with my parents, Jan and see my friends back home. Not enough, but I think we made the most of it!
         During summer there are many more possibilities what to do we went bouldering to Vesec, a small locality next to “my city” Liberec. I don’t have to tell you how badly I sucked after giving up climbing for more than a year, because there is really nowhere to climb in Qatar. And especially on razor sharp granite rock I basically didn’t finish a single boulder. Next time J
      Then we went for a day 80k bike ride around the house. Picturesque clouds on azure sky, green grass and forests and couple of nice single track descents reminded me how riding bike can be diverse and different!! Sliding silently through smooth forest paths, crossing streams and mud pools or climbing up the road between the fields cannot possibly be boring. In contrast to that, everyday riding through the same yellow dry flat wasteland, jumping over same stones everywhere you go and not having the need to shift gears more than twice per hour can be a bit dull. Here…we had a great time increased by stopping for a beer and ice cream on the way J
          When we started to miss driving the car again we went to Frankenjura, one of the most famous rock climbing areas in Europe. Jan was going there the whole summer, so he knew that without a 1000 page climbing guide with description of 10 000 routes, we would be lost! And it was well worth it, because we found many beautiful routes and had two days of excellent climbing. I still sucked, but a bit less than last time. Limestone, big holds and overhangs suits me definitely better J
          With couple of days I spent at home with my parents and having a drink with old friends from high school, there was soon only one day left. We, actually it was only me, wanted to go to the Czech highest mountain, where I still haven’t been!!! But because the forecast was bad we chose to go for a shorter hike onto another mountain Smrk, which was closer, lower and where we both haven’t been yet. The weather was not that bad so we enjoyed the hike a lot. Especially me, still being amazed by all the green color around me, hills with not a single flat place in the sight, rivers with waterfalls…just beautiful and exciting.
          It was nice to be back and I realized that I enjoyed it much more than in winter. I really don’t miss winter and snow in Qatar! So I’ll be definitely back next year…don’t know for how long…but a week for sure J


No comments: