Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Year of the Wolf


Wikipedia says: “Wolf packs are often portrayed as strictly hierarchical social structures with a breeding "alpha" pair which climbs the social ladder through fighting, followed by subordinate "beta" wolves and a low ranking "omega" which bears the brunt of the pack's aggression. But there are also Lone wolves, which were driven from the pack or left it and live independently. Typically these lone wolves are stronger, more aggressive and far more dangerous than the average wolf that is a member of a pack. Occasionally, a lone wolf will encounter another lone wolf of the opposite sex and the two may start a new pack” And the circle closes.

Quick question. When did you realize that another year has passed…again? I found out just after I came from Czech back to Qatar and found an invitation for New Year Eve celebration on an island somewhere on the north of Qatar. I thought to go to UEA for New Year weekend, pick up my last things I left there, visit Rune and other friends and sneak into some party, but because travelling to UEA got more difficult and expensive since I’m Qatari resident and I had no “real” business there, I chose the island expedition.
The island is accessible by 4x4 car only twice a day during low tide and low tide is at 7am or 7pm. One way to early and the other way too late. But no problem for well equipped adventurer with own boat J So after sleeping enough I loaded the kayak with everything required for pleasant camp nigh plus kite gear, because there should have been nice wind on the New Year Day and set off for 5km ride to the island. It was beautiful sunny and warm winter day, with no wind or waves, just perfect for some kayaking.


On Facebook there were only 4 other people signed up, so I was expecting to be there almost alone with the organizer Ovi. But what was my surprise when I saw bunch of local guys around an all inclusive camp hut. They had cars, electricity generator, huge speakers, video projector, jet ski and boat. They had everything J And with such a background you do also everything
Welcome tequila shot from Ovi and right to the water try wakeboarding and riding a supercharged jet ski. When it was too cold we went back to the campfire for some gin and deliciously cooked fresh fish my new Bahraini friends caught in half an hour. Yum yum!! After first dinner we took wetsuits and with head lamps went into the shallow water with harpoons to catch some more fish and crabs. I wouldn’t think it that easy to catch a fresh food!! So for the second dinner from even fresher fish we had also toast crab desert J Well fed we put on the video and had some more drinks. Even the coolbox full of cold beer I brough with me came handy…just completely chilled out New Year night.
The next morning I woke up around midday just when we the wind came so after a quick breakfast I pumped up my kite and went to wake up to the sea for the second time. But it was just too freezing for me and I was thinking more about not falling into the water than about trying out some new tricks, so I quit soon and went instead for fire and more fresh fish.

       Unfortunately in the afternoon I had to leave this paradise island, where he time was passing so gently and you didn’t have to worry about anything…just enjoying. But when I was paddling in the dusk and fog between the waves back to the car, not able to see any shore and seemingly lost, I realized again where I really was.
Think about it like this…Life is like a wolf pack. You try to fight through the life you have up for satisfaction and happiness, but in one moment you are driven out of your track by others, which are stronger than you or you are just not strong enough. So you leave, hide, disappear and became a lone wolf. But lone wolves have more time, space and peace to train, practice and prepare for comeback. And when they come back to the old pack they are stronger, wiser and ready…and they take reigns!!
Enough thinking…let’s start doing and let this year be 
THE YEAR OF THE (lone) WOLF!
And I wish to all of you that this year is also YOUR YEAR J

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wonder, which city view you will post next year! Nice as always :) Good luck and take care, your wolfpack is quite far ;)

Unknown said...

Nothing happening for almost two months? :)

Unknown said...

Are you really that busy? :)