Monday, June 29, 2009

Making history


In one of my first posts almost eight months ago I wrote a story about how I met five years ago one lonely Danish wizard sitting in one old stony store in the middle of one ancient Spanish city and how our magical journeys continued more or less in parallel up to one future like megacity in the middle of Arabian desert. Our more than ten year lasting passion, dedication and love to magical plays brought us at the end to into an epic battle for eternal honor and glory!!


“What the hell am I talking about?” Of course that about Magic the Gathering!! Collectible card game played all over the world, having its own professionals, Worlds, Pro Tours or National championships.

When I came to Dubai of course one of my first steps went to Rydges hotel where all Magic addicts were hanging out to play, win and lose J Dubai has only about 30 active players so the community is too small to have official qualifications for World championship or Pro circuit tournaments. Fortunately couple of months ago one enterprising French guy Olivier, decided to quit his job and do business in fantasy and card sector in UAE. One of his first initiatives was focused to expand the community. More people are good for the company and for the players also, because we could have bigger tournaments which bring more challenge and more fun from the gameJ It will be a long journey, but we are optimistic and support the gaming by going twice a week to try to grab some fruit from top J

When I came and change my Magic nationality from Czech to Emirates, I instantly became a top ranked player in UAE!! It’s a nice warm feeling, but also brings enemies having more motivation to beat me and have the scalp. But I resisted, competed, conquered and managed in a fierce competition to stay on top till now J

And then the DAY D came. Olivier organized The First Open UAE Championship. For this ear still unofficial, but it didn’t change anything on the fact that no matter what was your ranking, there would be only one champion who takes all the glory!! So on Friday 26.6.2009 22 players registered and the biggest battle in history of UAE could begin J

For me it started in the worst possible way. I thought I had an ok draft deck able to go at least 2:1 (2 win: 1 loss). But I somehow was distracted, unfocused and drinking beer from 12am probably didn’t help it at all, so I lost first two rounds to Trey and Omar!! Tournament didn’t even start and I was one loss from elimination. A disaster, supported by thoughts of two mistakes that could have had cost me two games, which did further work on my diminishing concentration. With a defeatist mood I entered third round. I don’t remember if the game was equal or not, but I managed to win against James.

And then it broke!! With my own design Red/White creature slaughter control hell and probably like fourth beer I miraculously found the lost concentration, my mind cleared, eyes focused and I started to fight back from bottom ranks with new blood. I won the fourth round against Emir. In fifth I drew against my biggest enemies, blue tiny flying bugs (Faeries piloted by Mark) and won the last round over Jay-ar.

“You are playing for Top 8” said the head judge Olivier during last round. “No…really!! The winner will probably advance to Top 8” added Zak already warming up a chair there. “Please…don’t give any false hopes!! We could have only 10 points. It’s not enough!!”         And what was my surprise when I saw standings and my name at the last advancing eight spot J My joy was incredible. The day was saved, expectations made. Everything more would be a bonus. I relieved J Only the tiny piece my mind at the back of my head was quietly pointing out that my odds are actually quite good, because burning forests and shaking plains under dull armies of elephants, elves, soldiers and spirits is my specialtyJ

And it really happened. I easily killed all Tamy’s monsters in quarters, the same Victor’s monsters in semis and I stood in finals facing again…my biggest enemy MARK J Real epic story writing history. If we have played!!

Cards and fun is one thing. But money and prices is another. Winner gets ticket to Bangkok to Grand Prix tournament and the second a box of boosters. The problem was that Mark didn’t want to go, so he conceded because for some reason which I don’t remember now we couldn’t play only for the victory.

So I became the first UAE champion in Magic the Gathering ever. I achieved my biggest victory ever, I won the most valuable prize ever and I won my first trophy ever J Beautiful…but probably only from 90% because we didn’t play. We probably should have for such an important thing L Next year will be different!!

Anyway…history doesn’t ask. But history knows!! See you in Thailand in August 22-24 J

http://www.wizardsofthegulfcoast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=308

No comments: